We've been running small group adventures for over 25 years, so we've got a fair few travel tales to share. Likes: exploring, getting lost, eating, drinking, hiking, driving, flying, sailing, dancing, meeting new people, getting outside of our comfort zone. Dislikes: staying still for too long.
It’s the familiar refrain of the experienced traveller, ‘If only I knew then what I know now.’ Landing in a foreign place, we always wish we had that local insight and seasoned wisdom that comes from spending a lot of time there (and making a lot of mistakes).
But one thing you start to realise, particularly when travelling in Southeast Asia, is that mistakes are often the best bits. They’ll give you the best stories, the funniest anecdotes (the ones that always begin with ‘Remember that time when…’).
So, since its our job to dispense travel wisdom far and wide, we thought we’d present the 20 mistakes you’ll probably make when travelling to Southeast Asia. They’re not always fun at the time (see: food poisoning), but you do learn to love them in the end (you’ll have to trust us on this).
1. When you forget to close the mosquito netting
2. When you see a suspicious chicken dish (and eat it anyway)
3. When you order ‘spicy beef’ on the menu because you once ate a chili and it went okay
4. When you hire a scooter…
… having never ridden one before
5. When cocktail buckets seem like a good idea
6. When it really feels like you nailed karaoke
7. When you see a show that can’t be unseen
8. When you think sunscreen is for chumps
9. When you challenge a local barman to a game of pool
10. When you think you’re good at haggling
11. When you drink too much mango lassi
12. When you think paying in thousands of local currency makes you rich
13. When you think you look good in that Singha singlet top
14. When you feed one monkey on the beach, and it quickly escalates into a scene from Jumanji
15. When your phone dies, and you realise you have no idea how to get home or navigate by the moon or stars
16. When you first understand that with great beaches come great crowds
17. When you underestimate those tiny clouds on the horizon
18. When your five minute pre-beach workout doesn’t turn as many heads as you thought it would
19. When you select ‘advanced’ white water rafting because you saw Bear Grylls do it once
20. When you try to speak a local language for the first time
Explore South East Asia without making any mistakes with Intrepid Travel.